Monday, May 29, 2006

Tongue-tied

I just saw the tabs from AUDC '06.
I'm happy our team did so well considering it's our first international competition. Kudos Pecto and Marionette. *gives a toothpaste commercial smile* (No, not the flirty one. Just the wide "oh, you see my teeth" beam.)

Pecto won the bet, sadly. We had this 10pesos/round potluck for our deal, uh, so the total amount was a 210. (We had 7 break rounds, you do the math.) I ranked 2nd in the team, 28th in the overall speaker ranking, and 7th in the 15 UST contingents. My highest was a picky 76 from the IIU Mat B (Indonesia) and IMU A (Malaysia) rounds.

***
Just got through almost 10 call center visits/application a few hours ago. Three of those, I ended up walking in the offices of different banks. I won't trust infamous net search engines again.

There's still a good chance that I'd get enrolled this sem. Thank God for the hefty number of guardian demons surrounding me. (You know who you all are. Thanks... really.) Hopefully, my dad won't turn ballistic once he finds out, lest I get another worthless nagging.

I wasn't able to pass by school today, though. Had to prioritize work first. Oh, and I almost forgot to post in this awkward moment I had in a group interview awhile ago. One guy from the group was asked to do a spontaneous reply upon the problem of an illiterate child who doesn't know how to tie his shoelaces. Here's how it went:

Guy: Uh... what does illiterate mean?
Interviewer: (forehead starts to wrinkle a bit) Ermm, the child doesn't know how to write and read, and he doesn't know what's left and right.
Guy: (uncomfortably clears his throat) Dude, (yes, he wanted to establish a connection) hold the ends of the two laces (imaginary illiterate kid --> what???) and... (pauses for almost a decade).
While at pause... Mavy shifts awkwardy in her seat. The others? staring at the ceiling, chewing their fingernails, singing in their heads...
Interviewer: Okay, forget it.

The latter part of the interview was, ermm, interesting. The interviewer asked me to compare myself to an animal, and guess what I picked: a monkey. And I had this geopol explanation regarding that rather impulsive answer. Don't even ask.

Hopefully someone calls back. Of course, this is a wishful thinking since every company I applied for grumbled with nothing but a fulltime job offer. Well, if only it's that easy.

So much for not wanting to leave debate.

No comments: